More information on Planning and Building Regulations
If your property is not in a Conservation area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads, certain minor developments may not require Planning Permission. There are also restrictions if your property is a listed building.
The permitted Development Rights which may affect our type of work are as follows:
1.Greenhouses and sheds,(and garages if more than 5 metres away from the house),are permitted if they cover less than 50% of the garden, and are less than 3m high or 4m with a ridged roof.
2.Garages and other buildings within 5metres of the house count as an extension.
3. Extensions; permitted up to 70cubic metres or 15% of the original detached or semi-detached houseor:50 cubic metres or 10% of a terraced house, subject to a maximum in either case of 115 cubic metres, as long as: (a) the extension does not project beyond the front wall of the house or is less than 20 metres from the highway, whichever is the nearest,(b)does not exceed the highest roof point,(c) does not cover more than 50% of the total curtillage area.
4. A hard standing for a private car is permitted.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL PLANNING AUTHORITY, AS THESE ARE OPEN TO INTERPRETATION, AND THEY DO HAVE THE POWER TO ALTER THESE RIGHTS.
Local Authority Building Control - Building Regulations
A number of minor buildings are exempt from the Building Regulations. These are summarised below. Full details and conditions of exemption are in Schedule 2 of the Building Regulations and should be referred to. It is recommended that detailed checks be made through your local building control office as to the exemption of any proposal.
• Detached buildings not normally used by people
• Agricultural Buildings
• Buildings for the keeping of animals
• Temporary buildings in place for less than 28 days
• Construction site and sales offices
• Small detached buildings less than 15m2 with no sleeping accommodation
• Small single storey detached building less than 30m2 with no sleeping accommodation and that are more than 1m from boundary or constructed of non-combustible materials
Ground level extensions less than 30m2 floor area consisting of conservatory, covered yards covered way, porch or a carport open on at least two" sides